Saturday, April 21, 2012

I've gone to the Dark Side

People who know me know how much I love Star Wars.  But this post is not about Star Wars, it's about a phone.  I love technology and its possibilites.  I've used mobile phones since about the mid-nineties.  I even went to work for a mobile telecommunications company as customer care then tech support.  It was then I starting using a data device. 

I was on my second phone from the company I worked at and was getting close to my next eligable upgrade.  I was also going to be vacationing at Walt Disney World.  RIM, the company that manufactures the BlackBerry, had just released a new BlackBerry designed to appeal to a wider market, the Pearl.  It was black but since as come in other colors.  This was around the time that Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest was released.  I thought it would be fun to visit Disney with a "Black Pearl."  The Black Pearl was the name of Jack Sparrow's ship that he kept losing and trying to get back.  My upgrade was not available until late October but we were going to Disney in September so I thought I would not be able to get it in time.  My supervisor at the time liked the idea too so she used her upgrade she had to get it for me and I would then use my upgrade to get a phone for her. 

Since then I had gotten the Pearl 2 and it had a better camera, two speakers for better sound and was HotSpot capable.  HotSpot was the ability to use a Wi-Fi router as a cell tower.  I heard it said that once you use a BlackBerry you never want anything else.  That held true for me.  I played with other data phones but never liked them and was happy with my BlackBerry.  When the iPhone was released and everyone was loving it I laughed it off and believed that something so expensive would be such a let down after using a BlackBerry. 

Since then the BlackBerry has started to fall out of favor and the BlackBerry I was using (the Storm) had horrible battery life and was getting worse.  It was coming time for an upgrade and I knew I needed a new phone.  I have an Ipod and love it and I never really liked the other data devices.  I checked them out but I was being pulled to the Dark Side, I mean the iPhone.  So on April 13th I fully commited to the Dark Side and switched to the iPhone.

I like my iPhone but the Pearls I had are still a top favorite of mine.  I'm still getting used to the iPhone but I like what it can do.  Time will tell if it becomes another top favorite phone of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment