Thursday, September 2, 2010

Science Fiction: What Is It and What Do I Like About It Part Two

In this post I'll list a few of my favorite science fiction movies and why I like them. In future posts I'll list more.


Star Wars was once my favorite movie as a kid. I loved that it took place in space and on spaceships and space stations. It even had those cool lightsabers. I didn't care about the Force but I loved the droids, ships and lightsabers. There was always something about the first scene in the Lars homestead when we see Aunt Beru in the kitchen that I loved. The Star Wars universe was one place I would love to visit. I even liked idea of the Millennium Falcon. A spaceship that was also a home. The final battle at the end was exciting but over the years I tend to skip that part of the movie. I don't really like small fighter battles and this one goes for a loooong time.

I saw Star Trek The Motion Picture about a year or two after Star Wars and loved it. For a few years after I kept watching the Star Wars movies and was a big fan of it but I always remember back to a movie that took place in space on a huge ship that was doing some exploring. It lingered on shots of both the interior and exterior of the ship and this "thing" that was being investigated. But I couldn't remember the name. This movie also had an interesting feel about it. Eerie is not quite the feeling but it was different and I loved it. Years later after seeing it many times and being told that it was one of the worst Star Trek movies I still kept enjoying watching it. As I began to understand more and more about the movie I saw some interesting things that it was saying. There was a major character change in Spock to where he learned to appreciate and utilize his emotional human half when approaching problems and intereacting with people. I also picked up that the whole V'Ger journey and search for its creator is similar to a person searching for God and being shocked to find that God is not what that person expected or made Him out to be but accepting the truth.

The main draw I have towards the Fifth Element is the character Leeloo. There are similar characters to Leeloo in other movies and TV shows that I like. She is very similar to Lady Amalthea from The Last Unicorn, Seven of Nine from Star Trek Voyager. The Ilia probe From Star Trek the Motion Picture had some of the similar qualities They all have the quality of being childlike and discovering what it means to be human. Also with this discovery they both astonished and dismayed at what it seen. All of them were intelligent and did have specific goals or missions to accomplish while living for that discover about humanity both good and bad and it was usually something very good that they discover that encourages them to complete what they originally set out to do despite the evil they found.

More movies to come later.......

No comments:

Post a Comment